The role of an IEP team is to ensure that students with special needs are provided with access to the quality services they need to achieve the best student outcomes. While the objectives are typically clearly defined, success hinges on how well the IEP team members are able and willing to collaborate to achieve desired outcomes. Unfortunately, many IEP meetings end up being contentious and unproductive — not because team member disagrees with desired outcomes, but because the group was not taught how to successfully collaborate as a team.
Successful collaboration requires clearly defined roles and responsibilities, particularly in those areas in which there are overlaps in services. It also requires a solid understanding of each other’s educational and professional backgrounds to define realistic expectations. Additionally, it requires a strong understanding of relevant laws and regulations, including IDEA and the various professional and ethical guidelines that professionals are required to uphold.
10 General (QABA)
10 Learning (BACB)
- Identified the members of a multidisciplinary IEP team
- Described the roles of the members of a multidisciplinary team
- Described the legal requirements according to current statutes and case law (IDEA, 504, FAPE)
- Described how special education law relates to the BACB’s Professional and Ethical Compliance Code
- Described the ethical codes relevant to the practice of speech pathology, occupational therapy, and education
- Described the different types of collaboration models
- Learned basic Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) strategies to shape desired behavior
Webinar Titles Included:
- Multidisciplinary Collaboration Series- Module 1: IEP Team (Recorded)
- Multidisciplinary Collaboration Series- Module 2: SLP & ABA (Recorded)
- Multidisciplinary Collaboration Series- Module 3: EDUCATORS & ABA (Recorded)
- Multidisciplinary Collaboration Series- Module 4: PSYCHOLOGISTS & ABA (Recorded)
- Multidisciplinary Collaboration Series- Module 5: OT & ABA (Recorded)
For cancellations and refunds, please see our policy HERE.