To date, the field of ABA has seen nearly $2 BILLION dollars of capital investment in mergers and acquisitions (M&A)… activity from Private Equity (PE) firms. The 55 or so PE firms currently in the field of ABA manage over $1.5 TRILLION dollars of investment money — controlling hundreds of BILLIONS of “dry powder” which has yet to be spent. There are many more NEW PE firms (not yet in our field) very aggressively seeking to add Autism businesses to their investment portfolio.
As of today…
- 55 Private Equity firms have invested in ABA service providers
- There have been 20 ABA “Platform” Companies created
- There have been 10 PE exits (via sale to larger PE firms)
- Three PE-backed Platform companies have realized multiple exits (original platform sold multiple times to other PE firms)
- Sequel Youth and Community Services (2010, 2013, and 2017)
- Learn-it-Systems / Learn Behavioral (2016, 2019)
- Hopebridge (2017, 2019)
There are nearly 90 MEGA ABA agencies (1,00 to 5,000 employees) in operation today
Of the 23 for-profit MEGA agencies, over 50% are owned or backed by PE firms
We can talk data all day long, but the real question is… what does this mean for independent (for-private) ABA agencies? BCBAs and RBTs? Clients, who receive ABA services? For the profession of ABA? For the ABA “industry?”
After the dust has settled, the hyper mergers and acquisitions (M&A) activity has subsided and BIG Money has left the field, what will remain? Will the ABA Industry still exist? Should we care?
- Karen Chung
- Jon Bailey, Ph.D., BCBA-D
- Heather Grimaldi, BCBA
- Investment Banking Firm with Extensive M&A Experience in ABA
Date: January 29, 2020
Time: Noon to 2:00 pm CENTRAL
For cancellations and refunds, please see our policy HERE.